Saturday 21st December 2013
at 4:30 in the morning
Our first day in New Zealand and nothing was working out the way we planned!
– We were tired after being up all night on the plane.
– It was freezing on the plane and chilly in Auckland.
– We lost a full day returning back over the date line
(Bea really wants me to write, that we’re “back to the future” 🙂 ).
– The phone SIM card was not working (thanks to Optus Australia who ‘forgot’ to network unlock our iPhone as we found out after 4 hours of excessive swearing)!
– The rental car was a piece of @#$% … and it’s not even from rent-a-wreck!
– It struck us that we hadn’t really planned much ahead for the next two months!
But the mood brightened after a good night’s sleep and we spent the next four days sightseeing in Auckland, shopping for camping equipment and ‘celebrating’ a very uneventful Christmas Eve in our youth hostel room with our miniature Christmas tree and a – not quite traditional – Christmas Döner.